Monthly Archives: January 2011

Duvet is DONE

I’ve been putting off creating a new bed covering for quite some time. The main reason was due to my lack of disciplinary actions towards the cats. Try as I might, I sucked at keeping their furry butts off my bed, or anything else for that matter. Paws on the floor is something that should have been instilled during those early kitten months. That obviously never happened. I use to love having the kitties cuddled up in bed with me, however, the older I became the more annoying it was. Cat hair was always everywhere and I had no one to blame but myself. Plus I don’t declaw my animals. How would you feel if you woke up missing your fingertips? When I would knock them off my bed, claws would typically extend to maintain balance. Claws and fabric do not mix! Since I am cat free (and plan on staying that way for a long time) I thought I would do a bit of selfish sewing.

Several years ago my mother gifted me five bolts of assorted embroidered linens. I made a few dresses and skirts for the site but still had a lot of yardage left, so I ended up tucking it away in my fabric closet. Inspiration struck Christmas morning. I sat in my room staring at my bed trying to envision what I wanted the finished duvet to look like. I then began draping fabric and sketching out the design. I made a duvet once before, but the bed was smaller and I used a flat sheet for the backing. This time around I did things a little bit differently. After it was all said and done I think I have about 13 hours invested in this project!

My major past annoyance with most duvet covers is the way my down comforter would slip and slide around inside. After a bit of brainstorming I decided a loop and button should do the trick. The loops were sewn into the inside top seam, then I attached 6 large buttons to the top of my comforter. I selected the largest buttons I had in my stash. Thankfully they are on the inside because I hate them! I forget what I took them off of but they have anchors on them.

Since the fabric is factory embroidered the backside is full of loose threads. Not wanting rogue strands sticking to my comforter, I decided to line the linen with natural muslin, which I also used for the underside of the duvet. I used almost an entire bolt! Thankfully it is a lightweight fabric because after it was all said and done this baby weighs a ton!

I had just enough “cheater patchwork” to cover the top of the bed, so I used the matching embroidered stripe to make the side and bottom accent panels. At first I thought about making the corners meet in a chevron design, but decided against that after realizing I’d have to make fitted corners in order to achieve the look I wanted. That was way more work (and math) than I wanted to put into this project. Here is a close up of the patchwork. It is a bit more pink in the picture than in real life, but the sun was setting and the flash washed out all color. I’ll have to get a picture on a sunny morning because the solid part is actually a sandy oatmeal shade that neutralizes much of the pink. You can kind of see that in the first image.

Overall, I’m very happy with how everything turned out. It was a huge pain to make and line (since it measures over 100″) but I’m glad I did it. The colors match my pink (rolling my eyes) room perfectly. I am so not a pink girly girl, but somehow I always end up with a bedroom in that color! I have enough stripe left over that I’m going to make either matching valances for the windows or shams for the bed. Probably the latter since the pillow cases most often on my bed are a tie-dye mix of brown and blue!

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Selfish Sewing, Stitchin'

Riding the High

Tonight, I had a moment of creative clarity. What’s even better is that I was able to simultaneously harness and then execute it. That rarely happens, especially in the same moment. My brain is a constant swirly mess of designs, visions and ideas. Seriously, this type of fluid creativity happens for me about twice a year. In that exact moment my spine straightened, I drew in a breath and my head cleared. I was essentially high. It. Was. Awesome. I constantly carry around a mini tablet in anticipation of moments just like this and I am unable to bring that creative surge into fruition.

For me, the creative process is something that is  labored and then birthed. It does not come easy. I create a lot of things, every once in a while I create art. Not that a blog banner is  in any way art, but it came together in the same exactness that previous works have. It was easy. Crop-clip-flip, repeat. It’s clean, concise and exactly how it appeared in my head.

Several years ago Jason and I stayed up all night creating pieces for the Lancaster Summer Arts Festival. The whole time I was high on creativity; it was incredible. The best part was my submission made it into the main room and his was placed in the side room. Jason is an amazing artist and to know that something I created was so well received blew my mind. It still does.

The photograph I selected was taken by Justine, while vending the Rothburry Music Festival in 2008. I modified the colors, then manipulated the image in photoshop to create the banner you see now. I remember that moment and all I was experiencing. I was standing in a field, gazing at a pond, feeling completely at peace, just taking everything in…which she captured precisely. Thank you Justine!

2 Comments

Filed under Blogging, Random Rambles